From enhancing the aesthetics of your dream home to preventing the entry of sunlight, your window shutters perform a gamut of functions. Additionally, these shutters play a vital role in securing your dream abode from intruders and trespassers. Those looking for a stunning alternative to draperies, curtains and window blinds can secure their investments with these shutters. However, the functionality will entirely depend on quality and the features of this equipment. Advanced features will ensure optimum convenience whereas shutters offering poor functionality will be bad investments. What you need to do is to look for the various specifications and features that will best suit your needs. Crucial factors include style, type of materials and also the cost of the entire window shutter installation project.
Nail down convenient designs
While looking for the perfect style and design features, you will inevitably come across the term ‘louvers’. The term refers to horizontal blades or fins that allow adjustments. As the most desired consequence, homeowners have the opportunity to decide the amount of sunlight entering the room. There are several options, in this context.
- Traditional shutters: With wedge-shaped louvers of 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ width, these shutters will be the best options for homes in cold countries. These shutters offer easy mounting within window frames.
- Plantation shutters: The louvers in these shutters are almost 2½ to 4½ inches in width. Appropriate for warmer environments, these shutters are instrumental to block sunlight and letting in air. Thanks to the presence of wider slats for adding to your home’s beauty.
- Panel shutters: Devoid of louvers, these shutters are available in various designs and cut-outs.
Assessing the style of your rooms
Since window shutters account for a major portion of your home’s curb appeal, it is important to take additional care. Looking for design features and styles is fine. But you also need to check whether your choice of shutters matches with your interiors. Considering the structure, appearance and style of your rooms will prove to be helpful. If your rooms exude contemporary appearance, you will need to choose modern shutters for your windows. On the other hand, those owning traditionally-designed homes will have classic shutters to choose from. Taking the room color into consideration will also be a great thing to do. You will have a crystal clear idea regarding how your room will look with your chosen shutters.
- Deciding the type: Strength and resilience are the two most crucial attributes that depend on the manufacturing material of the shutters. You will have a plethora of options available in the market. However, choosing the most appropriate one will be critical to the functionality of the equipment.
- Classic wood shutters: With basswood as its manufacturing material, these shutters have moisture-resistant capabilities.
- Engineered shutters: Manufactured from fibers and wood strands, these shutters offer greater strength and durability compared to their classic wood counterparts. They are mostly available in pre-finished forms.
- Plywood shutters: Recyclable synthetics happen to be the manufacturing material of plywood shutters. Their baked-on surfaces prevent breakage or damage as well as promote energy-efficiency.
Checking quality and safety controls
Depending upon your specific requirements, you can also choose to secure your investments in window shutters. However, it will be imperative to check your safety features of the shutters in any case. Placing faith on leading shutter manufacturers and suppliers will undoubtedly fetch your top-quality shutters. But, there is also a need for preparing and considering the budget. Determining the budget at the very first go will give you a comprehensive idea of your requirements. You will perform the search process accordingly and get the appropriate shutters. Another crucial factor is their maintenance. Before making the decisive move, check whether your shutters allow easy maintenance and cleaning.