There are so many companies that all promise the earth, and selecting the right one can be a daunting prospect. Replacing your windows is probably the biggest single home improvement you will ever make in your home, and in order to ensure a smooth job, here are some important things to look for in a potential contractor.
- Accreditations – Any company that has been in the window business for at least 5 years, should be accredited with reputable organisations, and if they are regulated by a governing body, so much the better. Failing that, if you know of someone who recently had their windows replaced, pop round and see the standard of finish, and if they recommend the company, this is a good starting point.
- Home Consultation – Providing a quote for replacement windows requires a home visit, as there are so many style and design options, and besides, no two buildings are identical and without a home visit, it would not be possible for a company to give an accurate quote. There are, for example, affordable windows in Pinner where the company would be happy to send a consultant to discuss your needs in the comfort of your own home.
- Online Solutions – if you are at a loss where to start, a Google search would bring up a list of potential contractors, and with some careful browsing, you should end up with 2 or 3, and by asking each to quote, you can then make an informed decision. Looking at the company website should give you a good idea of what to expect, and if they have customer testimonials, this is a good sign. An online search works, whether you are looking for windows in Pinner or Harrow, and it certainly saves you time and money.
- Quality Units – Ideally, the windows would be double glazed with hermetically sealed units, which eliminates condensation, and the aluminium or UPVC frames should have thermal barrier, which is typically a resin based material that does not conduct heat. This is something you should enquire about with every company you ask to quote for the job, and anything less than this should be avoided. Toughened safety glass should be standard, and with a choice of glass finishes, you can add a touch of individuality.
- The Right Price – It isn’t a good idea to be price based with this type of product, avoid anything that is either too cheap or expensive, and the middle range would imply the windows are of high quality and are installed by professionals. There are sometime seasonal discounts in place with window companies, so the time of year might make a slight difference to price, with summer being the most favourable time to be looking to have windows fitted.
If you find a window company that meets all the above criteria, you can be certain that you are dealing with an established and professional organisation, and if they meet your proposed budget without compromising on quality, your new windows should exceed your expectations.